2.9
Layout of Store

I bought an Omni about a year and a half ago. I've used it on at least 10 trips - some driving & some flying, and it held up well.

I recently noticed a small 1" crack in the polycarbonate. I took it to a nearby factory store for service & they sent it off to a contract repair service. The contractor sent the Omni back unrepaired with a note saying that they thought the crack was probably caused by a carrier and thus is not covered by Samsonite's warranty. I called Samsonite's customer service center to ask how their contractors determine if damage was caused by an airline, and more importantly, if there were any circumstances under which cracked polycarbonate would be covered by their warranty.

The person I spoke to did not know, & after consultation, came back with: 1) they cannot second guess their contractor's opinions, and 2) polycarbonate cracks would be covered if and only if the suitcase was purchased with a crack or was otherwise "malformed at the time of purchase". So in other words, unless you buy a malformed polycarbonate suitcase (not sure who purchases a malformed suitcase & keeps it...), any future cracks are not covered by their warranty!

The lesson for me was that paying a premium for Samsonite's warranty is simply not worth the cost...there are much cheaper polycarbonate options out there. I know other warranties will likely be similarly flouted, but at least I won't have paid as much up front.

This reviewer shared experience about warranty issue and wants this business to "legitimate warranty service not based on supposition" as the author lost $130. The author is overall dissatisfied with Samsonite. The most disappointing about samsonite omnilite suitcase from Samsonite was warranty service and no response to e-mail , but reviewer liked initial quality. Reviewer wants customer support to reach out to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Samsonite.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Luggage category for more informed decision or compare Samsonite to other companies on our site.

Comments

I have a >SGD400 Samsonite luggage which is still under a 10-year global warranty. Similarly I have a 10-cm crack and was told by the after the Aftersale Advisor of Samsonite Aftersales Service in Singapore that the crack is not covered under the warranty and it is beyond repair:(

I strongly agree with you that "paying a premium for Samsonite's warranty is simply not worth the cost...there are much cheaper polycarbonate options out there."